Friday, September 12, 2014

Cupcakes and Birthday Gifts

Birthday week is almost over, and I'll be sad to see it go. It's been a lovely week. It also had stressful moments, like yesterday afternoon, when I'm confident all three of my children conspired to drive me out of my brain. Thankfully, I had already planned to have a Thai food dinner with my write group, and they brought me awesome presents (see below) and chocolate cupcakes, and when the evening was over, my stress had dissolved.


I think this was the best chocolate cupcake I've EVER had. Since I'm kinda obsessed with cupcakes, this is a very serious statement. The chocolate mousse on top was chocolate-cinnamon, and the cupcake itself was moist and was the perfect level of chocolately, and best of all, it was birthday dessert from the lovely Sarah. Don't be too jealous. Also, don't lick your computer screen because that's kind of gross.

Photo used courtesy of W. John MacMullen
This is the awesome pillow that my friend John made for me using Tula Pink's Nightshade line. (I was recently perusing ebay and saw this fabric selling for $100/yd. Eep!) It has a metal zipper of awesome, and it has already found a home on my bed with my Marie quilt. Because he's a true pal (and a way better photographer than I am) John also took a picture of my pillow so I don't have to. (Seriously, it's much appreciated.)


My friend Kim got me a Kona color card since I've wanted one for forever, and my mama got me the Hex N More ruler. Next time I make a Northern Lights quilt, I'll be all prepared. I was seriously spoiled this birthday, and I'm feeling all kinds of loved.


I have been doing a bit of quilting. I managed to get my ikat quilt basted this week. I seriously hate basting, but I love the look of a basted quilt. So smooth and delicious.


And I'm working on my September Stash Bee block. Amanda requested an improv block in a color of the rainbow, and of course we all know what color I chose.

I realized last night that September is the last month to get my Q3 FAL goals completed, so I need to get a move on. I KNOW I can finish at least three of them. I just need to sit down and actually, you know, finish them. Someone tell me I'm not alone in this!

Hope y'all have a lovely Friday, and an even better weekend!

3 comments:

  1. That cupcake looks heavenly! When you said don't like your computer screen, it made me want to just to be a rebel! ha! You got some super awesome quilty gifts from your friends, too. I am looking forward to seeing the ikat quilting - I love that top! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My birthday is in February, and I'm thinking one of those cupcakes would hold up well in the mail. Just giving you a little advance notice!

    BTW: Are you a spray baster? (I don't see pins in the pic above.) I use spray and have problems with puckering during quilting. I'm not sure if I could tweak my technique to get better results -- I'd love to hear more about your process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! I spray baste these days. i was taught to pin baste and Di for years until I found 505 spray. Life changing! So much better and much less puckering than I ever had with pins. No idea why! My three conspire against me all the time, usually if my husband is away at their bedtime.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a note! You've made my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...