Friday, January 3, 2014

FF: Supermassive Black Hole.

Hello Friends! I think most of my January 2014 finishes are technically December 2013 finishes, but I couldn't show them off until after the holidays, or in today's case, after a birthday.

Photo used courtesy of W. John MacMullen.

Some moons ago, my friend John gifted me the most amazing mini quilt for my birthday. I don't remember when I first started scheming John's birthday gift, but it was probably before my birthday because I knew his gift had to be fabulous. (He's a quilter-enough said.) I had the idea to use a ton of different solid black fabrics in differing textures and weights to create a pillow of awesome. I knew I wanted it to be improv-y and randomness. I knew it had to be awesome. So when I was flipping through my bookmarks and stumbled across the Bloomin' QAYG panel tutorial at Let's Eat Grandpa, I knew I had found the one.

To be honest, when I went fabric shopping, I didn't even note the type of fabric I was grabbing. I knew I wanted linen, corduroy, and lace, but everything else was up for debate. The only quilting cotton I used was to back the panel. I grabbed fabrics based on appearance and feel, and when I took them to the cutting counter and asked for a miniscule amount of all six, the girl looked at me like I was a nutcase. When I explained my plan, she was totally on board and looked like she might get grabby with the pillow if I brought it back for show and tell, so needless to say, I didn't.

While I admired the finished product, I knew that if John didn't like it, then I had no idea what he liked after all. And when I delivered it, I think John liked it okay. Just kidding! He loved it! The pillow's title is a nod to Muse's Supermassive Black Hole, but I'm sure y'all know I didn't name this pillow. John did! I would have titled it Black Pillow of Awesome or some other nonsense.

I kind of really want a pillow like this for my couch. But in hot pink. Or in Tula. OR BOTH.


I'm linking up today with Finish It Up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts and TGIFF hosted this week by Quokka Quilts.

12 comments:

  1. This is fabulous. I kind of what super up close photos so I can try to pick the fabrics :-) and it's such a good boy choice!! Still quilts but not feminine and flowery. It's solar system-y goodness.
    Very nice :-)
    E xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cool! Did you run into any problems with the different fabric types?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is subtle sophistication at its finest! Yes, hot pink version, very much needed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an amazing pillow! And I appreciate the nod to Muse....great song!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! I could totally see this in hot pink too...of course!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That pillow is stunning and totally a worthy gift for a fellow quilter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thank you so much! That's like the sweetest thing ever! :)

      Delete
  7. Thanks again, my friend! It is soooo much better in person than in my bad picture. I'm so glad that you understand that black is not a single color. You showed that it has depth and texture and sheen and other qualities of light. I also really like how you layered the lace over the other black fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the song reference and that tutorial. The pillow is fab!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It really is a black pillow of awesomeness. (Can you tell that my boys like Kung Fu Panda?) I wish I could feel all that texture goodness. It makes me want to try improv piecing for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just now saw this! It's incredible. I love the texture and the layers and tones. So great. I'm glad my tutorial worked so well for you! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a note! You've made my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...