Friday, November 8, 2013

FF: Baby Kenna's Quilt.


Remember this quilt? I made it a friend. This is finish four of six for my 2013 Q4 FAL list.


My husband has two very close friends that he's known for ages, and I love those dudes like older brothers. (Seriously. I call them both "Older Brother.") And both of them have pregnant wives who are due in the next few months. (And they're both having boys!) So what better to do than make them matching quilts? My moments of genius are sometimes too big to contain, what can I say? I have visions of the babies hanging out together on their baby quilts. Two cute babies! On two cute matching quilts! Squee!


I used Kona solids for the front, and the back is a jungle print from Imaginarium. It's a super fun print, and I'm glad I got enough for a quilt backing. I didn't get a photograph of this, but I topstitched around my label before handsewing it to the back. I'm so glad I did. It kept its shape a lot better, and also, I think it gives it a more polished look. I'll be doing that with my labels in the future. I bound this quilt in Kona black.


As for quilting, I mirrored the first quilt and did a double echo. I really do love this. Added bonus to making this quilt a second time is that I pieced it faster, and I was more accurate where my seams met up. Woo!


And here they are, folded up together. They use the same pattern and even some of the same kona solids, but the different bindings and backings make them look really different. The pattern is Northern Lights by Jaybird Quilts, and I'll definitely use it again in the future, especially when I need a fun and fast baby quilt!

I'll be dropping them in the mail sometime this week, and I'm excited for my "older brothers" to receive them. I haven't told either one that I was making them quilts, so they'll hopefully be super surprised and excited! And since they live about a mile away from each other, they should receive them on the same day. (Awesomeness!)

Today I'm linking up with TGIFF hosted by Quokka Quilts and Finish It Up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts. Woo! (And do you know who is hosting TGIFF next week? Yes! That would be me! So make sure you come back next week to link up your super awesome finish!)

10 comments:

  1. Just as awesome as the first one! :) I love this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are really cool, love the bold colours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love the colors! And the design is very unique-made look twice at the Northern Lights pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uh oh, isn't it going to ruin the surprise when they read this? I know all my husband's friends totally read my blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the finishes Audrey....love the bright fun colours. I am sure your friends are going to be delighted! Thanks for sharing Marie (mlismore@optusnet.com.au)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thank you!!! The first one was received, and they loved it! :)

      Delete
  6. Well, I love pink too!! Just bought another tool in pink. Of course I like most colors that are bright.
    LeeAnna Paylor here from crazy mama quilts
    lapaylor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pink is the bestest. The absolute bestest! Yay for more pink! :)

      Delete

Thanks for leaving me a note! You've made my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...