Friday, November 22, 2013

FF: Advent Goodness.

Hello Lovelies! With winter and dreary weather ahead, I am happy for the loveliness of the quilt blog community. Even if it looks yucky outside--which trust me, it looks yucky outside--I can look at the pretties that my friends have made and check out other quilters' finishes and be surrounded with beauty, even if it is only virtual. So thank you for being a part of that and being a part of my quilt blog!

Sorry to get all mushy there, but it had to be said! And while you may not have visited to hear me wax on about the importance of loveliness, never fear! I do have a finish for you today, and I'm pretty pleased with it, even if the yucky outside doesn't lend a hand to my very amateur photography skillz.


Bam! Advent calendar. I made a really really ugly one last year, which I didn't even use--no, you cannot see a picture of it--and I couldn't bear the thought of that being my only option again this year. I've been looking at advent calendar tutorials since the summer, and when I found one at Skip to My Lou, I knew it was the one for me. The tutorial was really easy to follow, the entire thing was easy to sew, and the most annoying thing about it was cutting all of the fabric and making the color combinations! (Which means, not that annoying at all.)


There is still work to be done, but finishing this a week before Thanksgiving gives me room for that. I wish I had room to spread the envelopes out more, but there just isn't a good place in my house for this. I'm not thrilled with the hanging utensils, but I knew I needed to get an eyeball on what this looked like before I committed to nails, and I'm glad I did. I need to spray paint the mish-mash of clothespins that I picked up for $1.25. I think I still have some chocolate brown paint lurking around somewhere...if not, I'm thinking hot pink, which probably surprises no one. Do I add numbers? There is no way I'm appliqueing them, and I'm trying to decide if it's worth hunting down the numbers (or a similar idea) that Cindy used. Or, I could not, and it wouldn't be too terribly hard to figure out what was what. And because it's less work, I'm leaning towards not. (Lazy, lazy, I know.) Conclusion = there is work to be done.

Now...to decide. To make stockings? Or not to make stockings? I really really think I should. But that means a lot of work and...*sigh.* It never ends, does it?

I'm linking up today with TGIFF at Never Too Hot to Stitch and Finish it Up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts. See you there.

10 comments:

  1. Very cool! I would go for the pink clothes pins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great project, love that it is NOT red and green!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! Your fabric choices are perfection! If your kids are young enough to need practice counting you could say they don't have numbers so the kids have to count them out with you every day.

    I've decided stockings can wait for next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I love it. I'm not lazy! I'm helping my kids to learn. Excellent. Totally using that. :)

      I told myself today that I really should wait. I should! Then, I pulled out my tubs of fabric and started pulling pieces that work. It seems I can't resist the urge for cute stockings! Now, the question is, will I finish them in a reasonable time?

      Delete
  4. Lovely!! I never would have thought of subbing hot pink for red in Christmas things but it works SO WELL!! And I much prefer it - can you make the pegs pink and glittery!?? maybe nail polish? Or have I now gone utterly mad...

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are too cute! What fun. I finished my set of new stockings last winter and am getting excited to put them out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love them - I pinned this tute myself only last week - though I won't be making it this year :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you don't use numbers, do they get to pick a pocket each day or still go in order? It is super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You could always put the numbers on the clothespins! I would use those round metal edged tags that you can find in office supply stores and maybe even have your children do the numbering - it will be fun for them to look back at their writing as they get older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's definitely a good option. I'll have to check out the office supply stores. That's a really good idea! Thanks!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving me a note! You've made my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...