Friday, October 11, 2013

FF: Rainbow Northern Lights.

Yeah, yeah. I know I was supposed to post this last week. But last week, I was road tripping to a fun modern fabric store, and I shared my haul last week on Sunday Stash, so you'll forgive me for being a week late, right? Right. Because you're good like that! (Or have no idea that I was planning to post last week, but you're still cool too.)


Doesn't it just look so happy and cheerful? This is my Rainbow Northern Lights quilt. It will be headed to a special baby set to arrive next month, and I'm really excited to have it finished. The pattern is by Jaybird Quilts, and I'm happy I finally had an occasion to use it.


I echo quilted the seams lines, and while it's not the FMQ that makes Julie Herman's version sing, I still really like it! Of course, it meant changing my thread six times, and I hate changing my thread, but I suppose *grumble grumble* it was worth it. 


The back is this super fun batik print, and I found the binding a few weeks ago and fell in love with the stars. Of course, none of it is super matchy, but that's totally not my style, so it works. Note to self--never back a quilt in a batik EVER AGAIN. (Unless I'm machine quilting the binding, then, by all means.) I forgot how evil it is to handsew the binding on to a batik. Evil. But it's done, and that's a lesson learned!

I'm off to check out everyone else's lovely finishes with TGIFF and Finish It Up Friday, hosted by M-R at Quilt Matters and Crazy Mom Quilts respectively. 

11 comments:


  1. Beautiful baby blanket in lovely colors ::

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilting looks great and the thread changes make it pop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So bright and cheery! Love the rainbow hues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rainbows are so nice and friendly. I'm definitely pleased with this one! :) Thanks!

      Delete
  4. What a lucky baby! This is a fab quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looooove this! It's so pretty! And who cares if things match?? Wait til you see my quilt back for the low volume pinwheels quilt! It's crazy! But crazy is FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was the batik backing hard to stick your needle into? Slip and slide?

    ReplyDelete
  7. So bold and fun! I absolutely love the binding choice too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Big, bright, bold! Thanks for the reminder about Batik bindings... I would have never thought of that. Looks great though, so, like the quilting, it was worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay, congrats on a beautiful finish! I love me some rainbow and always thought that Jaybird pattern would look great in rainbow. Now that thought is confirmed. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a note! You've made my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...