Friday, July 19, 2013

FF: 100 QfK Boy Quilt Edition.


It was good to get this little one out of the way. I cut squares for it back in May with the intention of piecing it together and finishing it up by end of that month. It's only July, but it's sad it's taken me this long to finish it. I had even purchased the flannel backing, pre-washed it, and cobbled together batting for it! Easy peasy, but apparently not that high on the to-do list.

But the timing worked out because now I can contribute it to the 100 Quilts for Kids event at Swim Bike Quilt. It's my second year making a quilt for it, and just like last year, it was really awesome to be able to make something for a kid out there who might really need a good snuggle. This one will be donated to Project Linus.


The most difficult thing about this quilt was putting together the binding. I started with a stack of FQs, and cut them into 6" squares to maximize fabric usage. I was left with a 3" x 18" piece, that I then trimmed to 2.25". Add in some generic red solid, and voila! Scrappy binding! The finished quilt measures about 38" x 44", and my husband informs me that the flannel backing is super soft and snuggly. (He may have taken a nap on it.)

I've got one more quilt for 100 Quilts for Kids that needs a binding, and I'm even more excited about that one! I'm linking up with TGIFF hosted this week by Molli Sparkles and Finish It Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts.

Let's cross another off my 2013 Q3 FAL list!

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! I do too! This one took a bit longer to piece, but it was totally worth it! :)

      Delete
  2. Great job and such a worthwhile cause.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great scrappy binding. Adds another level of fun to the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really do think scrappy bindings are my favorite with patchwork quilts. :)

      Delete
  4. If hubby can take a nap on it, imagine what it's gonna do to the kid who receives it! Narcolepsy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love scrappy binding too! This is sure to be well loved. I hope to have a leftover baby quilt this summer which will go to 100 Quilts too! Can't wait to see the one you're excited to bind :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a fan of scrappy bindings too. This quilt is adorable. I found your blog through Swim Bike Quilt and the 100 Quilts for Kids project, which I am participating in as well. I'm excited to see more of what you're working on. BTW, now following you with bloglovin'. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too sweet! Yes, the binding really made this project for me. Otherwise, it could have been a very boring little quilt, haha! :)

      Delete
  7. What a happy little quilt! Very kind of your husband to nap test it. It is sure to bring comfort to some beautiful child.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it!!! What a great quilt for a great cause!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on finishing it!! It inspires me to finish one of my 100 Quilts quilts that just needs the binding. Anyway, thanks for sharing the quilt with us (and a child in need of a snuggle) and for linking up with 100 Quilts. Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a note! You've made my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...